Thursday, November 17, 2005

Good things come to those who wait...


...381 days to be exact.

"I hate this country". That's the kind of thing your wife says when she's feeling a little blue and you leave the induction to your new job half an hour late. She's stood outside in the New England cold while I try to work out the American tax system.
Then it pisses it down. I mean really piss it down. We're walking to the Avalon Ballroom to see The Black Keys who 381 days ago played a gig at The Cockpit in Leeds. Unfortunately I was invited to a Halloween/Anniversary party of some family friends. Dont get me wrong we had a good time at the party, I had a good time but I was gutted that I was not going to the gig. Back at work on Monday all I hear from friends who went to the gig was how great it was. So here we are 381 days later, we now live in Boston and are stood soaking wet, beer in hand, waiting to see The Black Keys. The Avalon Ballroom is a pretty cool venue with areas that look like they've come from Stanley Kubricks '2001' and the Cantina scene in 'Star Wars'. The two guys who form The Black Keys rock for an hour or so and before we know it, they exit stage right and we're walking home. Was it worth the wait? Of course it was. To cap it off we get back to the apartment settle down with a hot brew, switch on the TV and stumble across the John Hughes 80's classic 'The Breakfast Club'. Em's not so blue anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well big bro this is a brill idea to keep us all entertained. Look forward to reading more while we all bear the cold in our long johns!